Double Crochet Secret Pals

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Secret Pal Mentoring?

One of the buzz words of the day now is "mentors" and "mentoring". Well, at least in my life it is a buzz word. The master's program I'm in is into mentoring. It's a way to pass on knowledge and help newbies to the program/organization/system, etc. A thought occurred to me over my mornnig cream Earl Grey. How could we as experienced Secret Pals help out the newbies learn the ropes, become awesome secret pals, and reduce flaking out? My answer is (in case you haven't guessed it): mentoring! I'm not sure how to arrange it just yet, but those who would like to be a SP Mentor could be matched with a Newbie SP and the Mentor would act as a resource for the Newbie. A mentoring partnership is what both of you make it, so it can be minimal or involved, it just all depends on what the needs are. Perhaps how it could be arranged is that a list of those who would like to be available for mentoring could be established and posted either on C'Ville or on the SP Single Crochet blog, along with e-mail info, and availability status given, such as taken or available, could be added to the person's name. Feedback, thoughts, ideas, comments, criticisms? My morning cup of tea is empty, so I will end here as I'll need to recharge. I sometimes wonder why I even brew the tea leaves anymore. I should just start sucking the leaves directly. Hmmmm...caffeine!

5 Comments:

At 3/09/2006 12:49:00 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Hmm...after a few moments of thought, I would definately sign up as a secret pal mentor. I think actually spending the time to show others the tried and true ways to spoil and treat someone you've come up with after several rounds of SP would definately increase the success rate of SP swaps. (sorry about the major run-on sentence!!)

 
At 3/10/2006 12:48:00 AM, Blogger Alison said...

I would too! It might keep me from signing up for one or two, but I'd enjoy the swap by remote!!Great idea!

 
At 3/17/2006 06:22:00 AM, Blogger Amy (yarnaholic) said...

I think it's a great idea. Even though I've done several swaps, I would still like to see a bunch of other hints and tips for spoiling a Secret Pal. Hmmm, maybe we could even come up with a relatively short document of good ideas for spoiling your Pal.

I really surprised myself this round and came up with an excellent way to keep myself motivated and on schedule with sending stuff out. So I'll share with everyone!

I use Outlook as my email program, which is usually left open most of the day. I recently discovered the calendar and task features. You can set it up with something like a weekly reminder to send an email, or a weekly reminder to send a snail mail card, or a reminder to mail a package on a certain date. These can be one-time or recurring events. Then, when the day and time for your reminder come by, you get a reminder message screen on your computer. This is so cool!

I don't know about everyone else, but I have a tendency to get bogged down with other things, and I can be quite forgetful about dates and schedules and stuff. This discovery has been a lifesaver!!

I'm sure other email programs have a similar feature, or you can probably download free calendar/scheduling software as well.

 
At 3/22/2006 11:17:00 AM, Blogger Faith said...

I think it's a great idea! I'd definitely sign up for it!

I like Amy's idea, too; perhaps there could be a way to send out an automated "suggestion sheet" as a response when they send in their survey, or something like that.

I've also gotten in the habit of going to an ecard site and presending cards for important dates.

Maybe we should start an entry for tips for newbies or something and we can create a file from that!

I like my word - bupja. Sounds like a Russian food. Or a dance. LOL!

 
At 3/24/2006 07:09:00 AM, Blogger Mellykins said...

I think it would be a really neat way to get new members involved and how to help them really participate in the secret pal swaps or any swaps really.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home